Tuesday 14 June 2016


VALUING MYSELF (cont.) 

Dr.Uday Pareek, an internationally renowned HR guru - an institution by himself. He served IIM Ahmedabad over a decade, exponent & father of modern HRD. It’s always an honour for me to talk about him or make presentation on his theories. Once I had to prepare a presentation & I decided to take up his Transactional analysis theories. I talked to my mentor whether it would be wise to take it up, he discouraged me as in his opinion it’s a very complicated theory, it would not get through. May be my unyielding attraction towards the theory left me with no choice but to explore it.

The abstract of the presentation (I will upload the PPTs later)

Transactional Style Profiles of the Managers and its underlying concepts

Transaction in communication is observed as interactions between individuals. Transactional Analysis is the method for studying interactions between individuals. Managers need to play different roles in an organisation depending on the situation. In each role a person tries to influence other person with whom he interacts. One of the main functions of a manager is to influence others for the achievement of the work objectives .The role directly involves in helping others in various forms as teaching or training, consulting and counselling. The process of helping people to learn and change is essentially an influencing process – the process of making impact on the individual; his ideas, values, attitudes and behaviour. These influential roles not only impact people with their roles but also help them to become self sufficient and capable of solving problems. In this study we will learn the twelve style profiles a manger may have. The underlying concepts of the style profiles are the combination of Ego states (Parent, Adult and Child) and Life Positions (OK and Not OK)

Mentors are always mentors – my salute, one of the listeners took a genuine toll on me. She asked me how I personally experienced this theory- truly a food for thought for me – I will think twice before presenting any theory how it personally has an effect on me – as if all the theories in the world have to have some relation with my personal experiences or I won’t be allowed to present it. Nevertheless, to satisfy her needs I cited an example – a personal experience & thanks to her it opened my eyes & I came to know what a deep rooted morality this theory bears which apparently is not understood & how ethically I behaved without even knowing its ethical implication on the given situation. This is the beauty of the theory.
I was privileged to know Dr.Pareek personally & to attend his workshops. Now-a days people video play his workshops and few co-ordinators co-ordinate the group accordingly. I internalised two great learning from one of his very popular workshops -   Extension Motivation. 1) How to exercise power on a deadlock of any negotiation 2) How to handle co-dependence – it’s a situation when a participant is in continuous confrontation & contradiction with the facilitator. He handled the situation with utmost respect shown to the participant. I have doubts how many ‘Pandits’ are even able to conceive what I am saying. Might be lack of recognition and attention leads a person to behave in this manner, he even proved that he read much more books than Dr.Uday Pareek read.
Dr. Pareek once came to Kolkata for conducting an Executive mentoring workshop & invited me to observe the process at Hyatt Regency. With my surprise I found myself to be the only person from outside there – I was the observer. I don’t know how he developed such a soft corner for me I was then only on the cross-roads of my journey. He asked me to review his newly edited book (Organisation Development) published by Oxford and mentioned a journal where to send it. But unfortunately I was then going through a very rough journey & could not accomplish the task. I am deeply saddened for that. This simple attempt to bring his complicated theory back in use might be my small tribute to him. And a very interesting fact about him, many may not be knowing, he was a doctorate in Psychology but he took a break, came all over to Kolkata and done a masters degree in Philosophy from Calcutta University. And he used to attend most of the lectures in the University.
Here it is all for now. What is the deep rooted morality and theories of Ethics involved in developing these theories would be explored later when I will formally take charge of the research. 

PS: I have not been able to insert the power point presentation here,in my next blog I would post them as picture texts one after another

No comments:

Post a Comment